What is building product testing?
From raw materials to finished products, materials used in constructing buildings are often exposed to climatic changes, as well as wear and tear. If left unchecked, it may potentially be hazardous to health and environment. Therefore, to ensure safety, stability, comfort, and durability, building materials and products need to undergo rigorous testing in accordance to stringent standards and regulations. The standards governing building products and materials cover a wide spectrum, such as structural stability, structural safety or fire protection etc, as they have a significant environmental impact and affect the quality of a building’s interior and exterior appearance. They also influence the processes used to extract, manufacture, transport and lastly, to reuse or dispose them. Therefore, stakeholders such as manufacturers, importers, distributors etc need to understand the importance of testing and certification and strictly follow building and construction codes and regulations.
TÜV SÜD Malaysia services
TÜV SÜD can provide complete testing services for building products. These services include:
- Mechanical properties (tensile, compression, shear, bend, torsion, hardness, creep, impact, fatigue and fracture toughness)
- Material characterization (chemical composition, elemental contents, toxic metals and outgassing)
Access floor, ceiling grid and partition wall
Anchor, bolt and spring
Concrete, cement and floor screed
Pipes, tubes and fittings
Plumbing and sanitary ware
Pressure vessel and lifting equipment
Scaffold, manhole, wire rope, metal formwork, metal guard and parapet
Tiles, marbles, bricks and stones
Timber and wood
Water proofing membrane, geotextile and prefabricated vertical drain
Weldmesh, reinforcement bar, pre-stress wire and structural steel
Curtain wall and windows
Benefits of building product testing
- Faster export – Gain access to export markets and shorten your time-to-market by meeting regulatory
requirements and international standards.
- Minimise risks – Conducting independent testing minimises violating regulatory risks and potential legal liabilities.
- Improve product quality and safety – Third party independent verification increases product quality and safety, thereby boosting customer confidence in your products.
- Maintain brand image – Protect your company from being embroiled in costly and image damaging product recalls.