MEET MANDATORY ELECTRICAL SAFETY REQUIREMENTS WORLDWIDE
Electrical shock related to the use of electrical products is the cause of thousands of injuries and even deaths around the world each year, whether because of poor design, inadequate maintenance, or unintended use. TÜV SÜD offers electrical safety testing for all types of electrical and electronic products in our accredited laboratories or at your own site.
WHAT IS ELECTRICAL SAFETY TESTING?
Electrical safety testing is carried out to evaluate the potential risks of electrical shocks to customers when using their products.
Evaluating a product for electrical safety usually includes the following tests:
- High voltage test (dielectric withstand test) - measures the ability of an electrical product to withstand a high voltage applied between a product’s electrical circuit and the ground.
- Leakage current test - evaluates whether current that flows between an AC source and the ground does not exceed a specified limit.
- Insulation resistance test - calibrates the quality of the electrical insulation used.
- Ground continuity test - ensures that a clear path is available between all exposed metal surfaces and the power system ground.
WHY IS ELECTRICAL SAFETY TESTING IMPORTANT?
Major brands and new start-ups benefit enormously from electrical safety testing of their products:
- Achieve compliance with relevant regulation and standards in different global markets
- Meet customer demands and demonstrate dedication to safety
- Discover and eliminate and problems in the product early on
- Avoid expensive product recall
- Reduce the risk of expensive litigation should a product cause injury
TÜV SÜD ARE GLOBAL EXPERTS AT ELECTRICAL SAFETY TESTING
TÜV SÜD can conduct electrical safety testing in our fully-accredited laboratories located around the world. Our engineers can test a wide variety of consumer electrical and electronic equipment and products as well as medical equipment, industrial, commercial and laboratory equipment.
In addition to our laboratory testing capabilities, TÜV SÜD engineers can also perform testing at your facility which enable us to schedule testing at short notice, and to complete most testing in just a few days. This provides manufacturers with an opportunity to obtain certification in the shortest possible time.
Our electrical safety testing is covered by our internationally accepted IECEE CB Scheme accreditation, based on our compliance with ISO 17025. TÜV SÜD is also a Notified Body under applicable directives of the European Union. .